Friday, June 22, 2012

Where have all the gypsy gone

This is a Question which is constantly on my mind. It appears that in Australia the gypsy has truly disappeared from the collective consciousness. When I was a child and our family was all together there was a common link to our heritage and it could be seen at home and around the community. It was not uncommon to see an encampment when we drove through the countryside, off through  the trees you could see the caravans and smoke from the fires as whole families lived their lives in a more traditional way.
Today it is rare, if at all, to find the descendants of those families living in this way. I suppose that Australia being such a huge multicultural community with not much racial conflict it has been easy for the gypsy to disappear.
Unfortunately this also means that whole cultures can become integrated together, which in some ways can make for a harmonious environment and a colourful world, although, individuality is lost.
It appears to me (I may be wrong and will stand corrected) that when an ethnic minority is persecuted and their values are challenged and there are attempts to assimilate them into the rest of society then, they will become a tighter community and maintain their culture more intently in the fear of completely losing an identity. Strength in numbers maintains culture.
We have seen in Australia that all cultures that have become integrated have contributed greatly to the mix and perhaps has been a good thing for society, there is lots of  gypsy inspired music to be heard there are many fashion influences, there is great food, spectacular art, a relatively peaceful and tolerant society.
What price do I have to pay to retain my Romanichal identity?
From all estimates the numbers of gypsy who have come to this country, right from original settlement, is quite high. Many convicts transported here were the victims of arrest on charges of petty theft and I believe this was a deliberate plan of the British in their plan to rid themselves of the gypsy "problem". Others have come as immigrants looking for a better life.
I miss the travelling life of my childhood, the carefree family gatherings and now when I look into the faces of people on the street, I believe I see those that have the gypsy spirit, a restlessness, a spark.
The same things that I see in the eyes of my own children as they experience the world.
I try to make them aware as possible of their heritage and will always encourage them to travel the world for as long as possible in the hope that they will find a connection to their ancestors.

No comments: